I know that it is mid-January and I am just now starting to post our Christmas activities, but there is a very good reason. I needed a few weeks to recuperate.
First, we drove 7.5 hours to Mt. Sterling, Kentucky, where my grandmother lives. We were crossing our fingers that Brendan would take his normal nap (12-2), but of course he did not. He did not fall asleep until 3:20 - 10 minutes before we arrived. From 12-3:20 life was miserable.
Once we arrived at my grandmother's house, we had one hour to freshen up before needing to drive 30 minutes to my aunt and uncle's house for a family Christmas party. Brendan never fell back asleep, so he was operating on a 10-minute nap.
We left the party at 9, and Brendan (and Hadley) usually go to bed around 7. We then had to drive three hours to my parents house, during which time Brendan cried the entire way. Hence, Hadley was awake and crying, too. That means neither child got to sleep until after midnight. Miserable x 10. To make it even more fun, Brendan decided he needed to go the bathroom when we were about 30 minutes away from a rest area. We pulled over on the side of the road and held him out in the cold, snow-filled air to do his thing. He refused. He asked two more times to stop. Two more times we did the drill. Two more times he refused to go. He held it until we go home. Around 1 AM I promised to never make the trip again, but I am sure I will be delighted to do it again next year.
All that said, the party at Vicki's was WONDERFUL and, honestly, was worth the chaotic trip. My family has two Christmas celebrations every year -- one at Aunt Vicki's house the week before Christmas and one at Aunt Debbie's house on Christmas Eve. We rarely make it into town in time to go to Vicki's, and I always lament having the miss it. The house is filled with tradition. Every year they serve the same foods, play the same gift game, and sit around and chat for hours... and I LOVE it! I love, love, love my family, and I certainly love the food they cook, too. :-)
First, we drove 7.5 hours to Mt. Sterling, Kentucky, where my grandmother lives. We were crossing our fingers that Brendan would take his normal nap (12-2), but of course he did not. He did not fall asleep until 3:20 - 10 minutes before we arrived. From 12-3:20 life was miserable.
Once we arrived at my grandmother's house, we had one hour to freshen up before needing to drive 30 minutes to my aunt and uncle's house for a family Christmas party. Brendan never fell back asleep, so he was operating on a 10-minute nap.
We left the party at 9, and Brendan (and Hadley) usually go to bed around 7. We then had to drive three hours to my parents house, during which time Brendan cried the entire way. Hence, Hadley was awake and crying, too. That means neither child got to sleep until after midnight. Miserable x 10. To make it even more fun, Brendan decided he needed to go the bathroom when we were about 30 minutes away from a rest area. We pulled over on the side of the road and held him out in the cold, snow-filled air to do his thing. He refused. He asked two more times to stop. Two more times we did the drill. Two more times he refused to go. He held it until we go home. Around 1 AM I promised to never make the trip again, but I am sure I will be delighted to do it again next year.
All that said, the party at Vicki's was WONDERFUL and, honestly, was worth the chaotic trip. My family has two Christmas celebrations every year -- one at Aunt Vicki's house the week before Christmas and one at Aunt Debbie's house on Christmas Eve. We rarely make it into town in time to go to Vicki's, and I always lament having the miss it. The house is filled with tradition. Every year they serve the same foods, play the same gift game, and sit around and chat for hours... and I LOVE it! I love, love, love my family, and I certainly love the food they cook, too. :-)
Hadley hanging out with Gran-Gran while Mom and Dad were getting ready





1 comment:
it's the too tired to fall asleep syndrome
Post a Comment