Sunday, January 22, 2012

Ison Family Reunion

Each year my maternal grandmother's family (the Ison family) holds a reunion in Isom, Kentucky (yes, the family name resembles the name of the town). I grew up attending this reunion every year and have fond memories of running all over Aunt Oggie's yard (my grandmother's sister hosts the event), visiting the chicken coop, hiding in the tobacco barn, and even using the still-functioning outhouse (although, yes, there is indoor plumbing too!). It has always been a day of nothing but simple fun and family -- something wonderful. As I grew older and moved away to Virginia, then Arizona, and now Georgia, my years at the reunion have been few and far between. The last time I attended was actually 2004... until this year! In September, the weekend before Brendan's 4th birthday, the boys and I drove up to Kentucky for the reunion. Although we were incomplete without Dan (it was his busy season at Deloitte so he could not leave work), it was an unforgettable family experience. Seeing the boys run wild, play games, and bond with cousins they just met but would bond with instantly anyway, was like peering into my own childhood.

The boys were appropriately dressed in their Kentucky jerseys and enjoyed playing with Oggie's dog.

Check out this water... would you like to go for a swim???  Good thing little boys don't notice dirt.
A disgruntled 3 year old.
This was his reaction when I tried to convince him to play most of the children's games.  If Brendan likes something, he will play it all day and never tire of it. If he has no interest in it... he has no interest in it. There is no convincing him.
Hadley, on the other hand, has yet to pass up an opportunity to play any kind of game.
Being the youngest and smallest did not deter my sweet boy. He ran the race as hard and fast as he can and won his age category. :-)
Again, a good sport. Had was the only 2 year old, but he would not be left out.
Art projects always engage both boys, especially if they involve sticking your fingers in paint -- something Mom does not usually let them do.
I love, love, love this picture!  Brendan was quite hesitant to bob for apples, and Hadley literally kept saying, "You can do it, Brendan!  You can do it!" and patted his back in full support.  It was so sweet to watch. 
A brother's supportive touch in the face of a daunting challenge
Hadley's turn.
We've yet to find a task that Hadley finds daunting.
This part truly brought back memories. When my great-grandmother, Granny Hattie, was alive, she would have all of the grandchildren circle around her at the end of the reunion.  She would pass out a two-dollar bill and a Sugardaddy candy to each of us. Oh how I cherished those gifts!  I saved every two-dollar bill in a special piggy bank and I savored the Sugardaddy for as long as it would last.  Well, the tradition continues even though Granny Hattie is no longer there to conduct it.  The children gathered around, and I was anxious to see my boys' reactions.


Hadley, my carefree two-year old, was eager to return the two-dollar bill, confused as to why he would need one of those.  However, he certainly recognized the Sugardaddy as candy and was eager to have it opened.
Brendan, my logically-minded almost-four-year-old who puts every penny he finds in his piggy bank, greatly valued both items and happily showed them off for the camera.
Ah -- a perfect Sugardaddy face.
One day at Aunt Oggie's and he learned how to be a true Kentucky boy
The boys with Gran-Gran, their great-grandmother, one of the sweetest, most caring women on earth

No comments: