Okay, this picture requires a story that is bound to make to you laugh, or at least roll your eyes. Last week was a very difficult week. Brendan never wanted to go to sleep and it was almost impossible to convince him otherwise. The only thing that seemed to work was taking him either for a walk or for a car ride. On this particular night, I had tried everything I could think of. Things that had worked like magic in the past had absolutely no effect on him. I rocked him, sang to him, gave him a warm bath, fed him, changed his diaper, tried the bouncy seat and the swing... He was not just awake -- he was screaming. I knew I should try to take a walk, but I had already gone on two walks that day (one for 45 minutes and the other for about 30 - for the purpose of his morning and afternoon naps), plus I had walked up and down our stairs and throughout our apartment for hours, holding him and bouncing him. I was exhausted. I really wanted to take him for a drive but, as I had discovered earlier that day when I tried to go to Target, the battery in my car was dead so the car would not even start. The later it got, the more desperate I became. I decided I had no choice but to take a walk. The problem, however, was that it was only about 45 degrees outside. I knew that was not baby-appropriate weather, but again, I was desperate. Therefore, I dressed him in three layers -- a onesie, a winter sleeper, and... the equivalent of a baby snowsuit. He looked about three feet thick in this thing and it was way too big on him. When it was zipped up, all you could see was a teeny, tiny head sticking out the top. I felt a little ridiculous (after all, this is Georgia and it had been 75 degrees earlier that day), but desperate times call for desperate measures...
As expected, soon after we hit the pavement he fell fast asleep. I let out a big sigh of relief and told myself it was definately worth the crazy outfit. He was asleep for the night and I would finally have some relief.
I carefully carried him inside the apartment, sat the carseat in his room, and was then presented with a new problem -- he was wearing three layers of clothes, including a snowsuit! How was he supposed to stay dressed like that and not melt? If I were to take it off, he might wake up. If I were to leave it on, he might suffocate. Both were terrible outcomes. I decided to try to unzip it as much as possible (as shown) and hope for the best. I tip-toed out of his room and fell onto the couch in complete exhaustion.
Fifteen minutes later he woke up. The whole fiasco was useless. Welcome to motherhood.
The good news is that the past 48 hours have been incredibly wonderful. Last night he only woke up one time to eat, and both yesterday and today he took good naps and was playful and cheerful during his wake time. Today he spent an hour in his swing while wide awake. He kept staring at the rotating birds (Fisher Price Rainforest edition - love it!) and giggling at his reflection in the mirror. I could not believe what I was seeing, but I did not dare touch him. Then, several hours later he spent half an hour on his play mat trying his hardest to hit the animals that were dangling above his head and smiling and cooing the entire time. I had to interupt the play session in order to go to the grocery store. I had a list long enough for three families, yet he was patient the entire time and just kept staring at all the bright lights until he eventually took a short nap.
Aren't I just the sweetest little guy you have ever seen? I am smiling all the time now and it melts Mommy's heart every single time. I hope that still works on her when I get a bit older and I am in trouble...Mommy finally put me in something KY blue! My Kentucky relatives have really been getting upset that no UK clothing has been featured on the blog. The truth is, I only had this sleeper and it was not yet cold enough, and I was not yet big enough to wear it, until now. Then today I got a present from my aunt Debbie in the mail... Stay tuned UK fans because I will soon be modeling it on the blog.




2 comments:
I'm sorry that little Brendan doesn't want to sleep. How frustrating! When are we gonna get together again?
SUCH A DARLING LITTLE BOY! ARE YOU GUYS GOING TO UTAH ANYTIME SOON? WE'LL BE THERE AROUND CHRISTMAS.
Post a Comment