Monday, May 11, 2009

Derby Party 2009

Our First Annual Derby Party was a huge success! I had tons of fun preparing Kentuckian foods, decorating the house, making my hat, and entertaining our wonderful friends. I had a hard time finding a dress to wear... I gave up on looking classy and went for loud. Hopefully next year I can be a bit more dainty.

I tried to do a picasa slideshow here, but could not get it to work. If I figure it out soon, I will add it. In the meantime, here are a few pictures to enjoy. A big thanks to Katrina for snapping photos for us!

THE DETAILS:
Food: "Mock" Mint Julep, sausage balls, ham biscuits with honey butter, Derby Pie, chocolate cupcakes (for Dan's b-day), and many other yummy dishes that our friends graciously brought.

Decorations: The house had rooms designated as the Grandstand, Clubhouse, Infield, and Paddock. Everything was red and black, including the horse outside our front door.

Entertainment: We gave away prizes to the best dressed male and female and best hat (a Derby signature collector's cup with Ruth Hunt's cream candy, the official candy company of the Derby) and -- because no one picked the winner -- the person who came closest to picking the winner (same prize as mentioned above plus an Ale-8, which is a soft drink only made in Kentucky, and a nice, cheesy necklace made of ceramic roses and a horse). We had to break a tie for both the male and female best dressed awards, so you will see some modeling shots on the slide show -- very entertaining!

We had a blast and can't wait to invite everyone back again next year!


Dan was the bookie. Brendan was the cutest Derby kid ever.

The main table, minus the Mock Mint Julep and most of the sausage balls.



Jeff and Jennie


Griffin and Caitlin


Lisa and Noelle


Katrina managed to pull off a classy dress while pregnant. I will have to shop with her next time. She won our hat contest and has promised to hold a hat-making party before the 2010 Derby party.

No comments: