Monday, March 2, 2009

Happy Birthday, Carol! (This is from Mom's POV, not Brendan's...)

Several weeks ago Leslie, Carol, and I were having lunch together and we brought up Carol's 30th birthday. We started brainstorming party ideas and Leslie suggested an 80's party. We were immediately sold on the idea and I volunteered to host it. I was SOOOO excited for the party... Then, the morning of the party Brendan woke up with goopy eyes, and that had never happened before, so I was a bit worried. I took him to the doctor and found out he had pink eye. Since many people were bringing their kids (Carol was supplying a babysitter), I knew we had a problem. Deanne was nice enough to let us transfer the party to her place with only a few hours notice! I was still able to host, but in a somewhat sporadic way. I arrived before the party to help set up, orchestrated all the planned activities (food, costume contest, cake, karaoke debut), then I left to go home and take care of Brendan so that Dan could go and enjoy the second half of the party. After it was over, Dan came home and I went back to help clean up. The whole scenario was actually pretty funny now that I look back on it... But it really stunk for Dan and I to have to take turns at the party. He lives at Deloitte this time of year, so I never get to see him! Plus, as you can see by the pictures below, he was quite a tough rock star. I was seriously impressed (Check out the nice nose and lip rings he wore! OUCH!). The picture of the two of us was taken after I came home from the party and he was getting ready to leave. That's why it was taken in our basement! I tried to do poofy hair, but by the time the party started all my teasing efforts had fallen pretty flat. I still had a rockin' neon orange jacket complete with super thick shoulder pads, though. The party was a huge hit, and the costumes were hilarious. I don't think any of us were actually THAT fun in the 80's, but if we had it to do over again, we surely would be.





The punk rock birthday girl!

Is this what happens when you work in the nursery at church? :-)
The Petty family looked amazing!



This is Brendan's babysitter! No wonder he behaves when she has him! :-)


The father of my children...



The rock star and his woman


AND HERE ARE MANY MORE PICTURES! ENJOY!

4 comments:

Stacy Christian said...

Well let me just say that when I first saw pictures of the party, I got SO SAD! I miss everyone so bad. Nobody here would ever be cool enough to throw an 80's party with so many cool people. So yeah, we miss you guys as well, and don't WANT to get used to it!

The Bartel Bunch... said...

Yeah...it looks like a 'rockin' party especially with all the kids there!
Just kidding! It was loads of fun, you did an awesome job planning the party!

Wendy said...

Lalona you're so funny! You motivated me to put up an old draft of a post so please check it out! The 17 month update on Brendan made me smile, he's so cute! I can't believe how smart and grown up these little guys can be! About the trip-- I have resigned from the planning committee because I cannot deal with the back and forth nature of it. It is in Jim's hands now. I do think it sounds fun!

Adam & Kristen Birkmeyer said...

Oh my gosh...Dan's jeans are killin me!! Too funny. And I'm loving the neon orange jacket. Why oh why did people used to wear shoulder pads??!! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. I hope your pregnancy is going well, LaLona!