Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Potty Training Triumph

Okay, so I know I am super behind on all kinds of blog posts, namely Halloween, and it will all come soon - PROMISE. Something happened the past two days, however, that forced me to come online and talk about it.



I decided to throw a "Potty Party" on Monday. Yes, it really was a party. We had a cake, candles, lots of treats and yummy drinks, and even ended up having a few guests even though they were all under five months old or an adult... but that still made it more fun. Brendan had been showing signs of readiness for potty training for about six months, but I kept putting it off due to everything else that has been going on (like having a baby). I was completely prepared for Monday to be stressful and perhaps even down-right hard. BUT IT WASN'T! When I announced that morning that we were throwing all of his diapers away, Brendan said, "No diapers! I wear underwear like Jack! Like Beau!" I guess it really pays that his two best friends are potty trained and that he wants to be just like them! He immediately went to the bathroom and used the potty -- FIRST THING! He then went on to self-initiate the potty every single time for the past two days. I NEVER had to ask him if he needed to go and he only had one accident -- and I am not even sure if it counts as an accident because he made it to the potty but had a hard time getting his underwear down (this was the second potty experience on Day 1; after that we took off the underwear, went "free" and he never missed a beat). He woke up from his nap dry yesterday (he is currently sleeping so we will see how today went...), and I think he was dry from the night time too (I kept feeling of the pull-up and could not really tell). As soon as he woke up this morning he went for what seemed like half an hour... whoa. I plan to let him start wearing clothes again this afternoon, so we will see if that changes things, but so far I have been amazed at how well it is going. Cross your fingers that he keeps it up! Having two kids in diapers sure does drain the bank!

2 comments:

Lindy Salmon said...

WOW! That is great. Maybe he can pass along a few tricks to Anya :)

Chrystal said...

Thanks for letting us visit on Monday amid your potty party, which was so cute. Your sons are adorable. I really enjoyed visiting with you and learning a few tricks of the mommy trade just by watching you in action. Go Mommy!