Thursday, June 18, 2009

Introducing...

Hadley Nathaniel Richards
Born 6-15-09 at 10:19 PM
5 lbs., 15 oz., 19 inches

[SIDE NOTE: For any of you that received an email from us, I typed the wrong date for Hadley's birthday... It was the 15th (as stated above), not the 16th (as stated in the email). I guess I need to get more sleep....]

Well, Monday, June 15th sure did not go as we had planned, but it turned out to be a wonderful day...

I thought I was just going to my routine 37 week doctor's appointment and had a long list of baby preparations to take care of that afternoon. However, when an ultrasound revealed low amniotic fluid and little growth since last month's ultrasound, I was sent to the hospital for an emergency induction. I was completely in shock for many reasons, namely because Brendan was induced 10 days late and, therefore, I thought I had another month to prepare for my baby! I immediately called our wonderful babysitter (and honorary family member) Kim and asked her to come over and watch Brendan while I packed my bag. She saved my sanity by offering to wash the baby clothes, assemble the cradle bedding, and clean our house. My thoughts then went from my lack of physical preparation to my lack of mental preparation. I had to adjust quickly to the fact that I was going into labor that day and becoming the mother of two.

I was induced around 2 PM and bored out of mind for the next four hours or so. When I was induced with Brendan, I took the pitocin right away and was feeling contractions within an hour. With Hadley, it was not until nearly 6 PM that I felt like I was really starting labor. However, things went pretty quickly after that. I was planning on a natural labor and all BUT had one. Around 9:30 PM I announced to Dan that no woman should ever feel this kind of pain and that I wanted an epidural. He pushed back a little (per my instructions before labor started), but I was not open to discussion. I took the epidural around 10 PM and then, just as I was laying down after the epidural, I realized it was time the push. The epidural had not had time to set in fully, so I was still able to feel all of my contractions, control the pushing, and feel somewhat what natural pushing would feel like. I say somewhat because I am sure the epidural helped out in some way. Hadley was born rather quickly (about 20 minutes of pushing), and I immediately turned to Dan and said, "That wasn't so bad". His jaw dropped to the ground and he asked where I had been the last two hours. At the time, I was just relieved to be finished. Now, I am super mad that I came so close to proving to myself that I could do a natural labor but because of a last-minute epidural that barely even helped, I have to try again next time! I want to tell all the mothers that have already done this feat that I admire you more than ever!

Dan has lots of hilarious stories about the experience, and I am sure he will have fun sharing them. Here is one of my personal favorites: I was experiencing the worst pain of my life, having incredibly difficult contractions, and I turned to Dan and whined, "I don't want to do this anymore! I want to go home!" His response: "Sure! Sounds good. Let me get your sandles." Gotta love it.

Meanwhile, my parents were driving down from Kentucky. I am so blessed to have parents that can/will drop whatever they are doing and drive 7 hours to help me out! They arrived around 10 PM, relieved Kim, and then stayed with Brendan while we were in the hospital. We've convinced them to stay through next week (two weeks total) and help us as we transition to being a family of four. They have been a HUGE help with Brendan. He is showered in attention, which makes bringing in the new baby a lot less traumatic. He has thrown a few fits for Mommy's attention, but all in all he has been really sweet to the baby and to everyone else. I know he will be a fabulous big brother!

Here a few pictures from Hadley's first three days on earth:


Put me back in! Put me back in!


Okay, that's better. Blankets, hat, Dad's arms... This might not be so bad.


Hanging out with Mom and Dad just moments after birth


When I was about 12 hours old, my big brother came to visit me.



Flowers for Mommy! (and chapstick...)



Okay Hadley, where should I start? I have so much to teach you.


What have they done to me?


Ahhh...cozy...



Here, Had, let me get you out of there.




Soooo little...



I surrender!



Wide-eyed and ready

12 comments:

Stacy Christian said...

He is so tiny and adorable! Wow! I'm glad everyone is ok. When I got the text that he had arrived, I kept thinking to myself "I thought she was due at the beginning of July". Anyways, I guess I was right. But congrats! I can't believe you are a family of 4 now!! Crazy! Miss you guys!

Jaime G. Fryer said...

Congrats on baby number two! I didn't get an email, but just saw this on your blog! Wow! I can't believe how quick everything happened. Hadley has the cutest little baby face! Brendan is getting so big and handsome. Take it easy! Love to you.

Troy and Mindi said...

Yea! congratultions you guys! He is so tiny and sweet. Good work Lalona!

Lindy Salmon said...

Congratulations! We are so happy for you guys!

Megan said...

Little Hadley is so cute. I like your family picture at the hospital. It's amazing seeing how big Brendan is compared to baby Hadley. I'm so happy that everything went OK and sounds like you went through the worst part of labor naturally and that's something to be really proud of! It's so exciting seeing all of baby Armstrong's buddies coming down from Heaven. Can't wait for them to meet. ;)

Jen Hill said...

What a cute tiny little guy! Glad he arrived safely. Congratulations!

Kristin said...

He's adorable!!! Congratulations! We'll have to see you all sometime soon to see him in person. And Brendan has gotten so big! It gives me hope that Seth (who still has only a dusting of very light hair), might grow some hair someday :) Anyway, congrats again and hope your family is doing well!

{Amanda G} said...

Wow, you are one amazing lady! After child birth, you still look like a million bucks. How do you do it? I can't believe he came so early, but I am sure you are glad you didn't have to be pregnant anymore. I need your address, I have something to send you. Email me just when you get a chance.

Chelsea said...

Yay! Congrats! We're so happy for you, he sure is a cutie. Who had the baby though? You definitely don't look the part!

Wendy said...

Congratulations! What a perfect little family!

Unknown said...

Congrats!!! so cute!

Jenny said...

Congratulations! Good luck with two little ones!